A piece of memory with my Mok


This is a story about my beloved grandmother that I'd like to share.
It has been 5 months since my beloved grandmother been gone yet the memories still remain fresh and unforgettable. I just can't imagine, when I go back to my hometown, I'm not going to see her again. It's kinda odd. My grandmother passed away last 22nd February after being ill for a quite sometime. I wasn't sure of her exact age but I thought that she was around 90 something. Though she was quite old but her memory was unbeliveable (I'll tell you why, keep reading).
When I first got the news (about my grandmother's death) from my eldest sister- Kakak, I didn't cry. I didn't feel anything. But then as I hang up the phone, I went into my house and I started to have this images of my grandmother in my mind, image by image like a slide show. I went straight to my husband and then I remembered telling him,"Ayang, Mok is gone...."I just burst into tears and hugged my husband, hard. The pain started coming and tears started falling. I cried like a baby. I just couldn't believe that I had just lost my beloved grandmother whom I had always called Mok.
My grandmother was a generous, loving and a very kind person. She loved her big family so much and she was very proud of her children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and great, great grandchildren!Doesn't like any other grannies who don't recall how many grandchildren they have but my Mok was exceptional. She remembered. She did, even if the number kept increasing every year (of course) but she kept in track.
When I was a kid I always enjoyed going to her store where she sold batiks, sarongs and other textile products. She would give me some money to spend (which I loved the most!) and when it was time to go home we took the trishaw ride. I loved being on a trishaw because it was slow and you could feel the breeze smoothly brushed to your face and the only chance for me to go for a trishaw ride was with Mok!
Mok, my father's mother, always loved to go places unlike my mother's mother who prefers to stay home. I still remember when I was around 6, I went to my Mok's house to send her to the bus station because she was leaving for Kuala Lumpur. She then asked me if I would like to come with her. Of course I would! I had always wanted to go to Kuala Lumpur since my very best cousin, Adrina lived there. And I did. Wearing only an everyday dress and a pair of selipar jepun (toilet sandals) off I went to Kuala Lumpur with my Mok. Until today, I still wonder how did my parents could let me go just like that ? Especially not in that dress.
I 'm really grateful to have such a beautiful and unforgettable memories with my Mok even if I didn't have a chance to be with her during her last days but I am thankful enough because last December, together with my husband and my two children we were able to go back to my hometown after two years of not being able to do so. (We lived hundreds miles away in the Borneo so it was quite impossible for us to go back annually). I was glad that I had the chance to give her hugs and kisses and she was able to give hers too, especially to my two daughters, her great grandchildren.
One of the things that I think Mok was really proud of was that being able to see her great grandchildren's daughter, which is her 5th generation! Not so many people had been blessed with a chance like that. Only special ones, like Mok. I believe that right this minute, she is watching all of us from above. Bye Mok, we will always love you and you will always remain special to all of us. (Che Minah Abdullah- Mok,died at the age of 90 something, leaving behind 4 sons, 3 daughters, 50 grandchildren, 72 great grandchildren and 2 great, great grandchildren).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mangga Wani ?

mmm...?

Resepi Asam Pedas Ikan Pari Mak